ONLINE INCOME OPPORTUNITIES
San Francisco, CA, USLocation:
Thu, Jun 9 ’22Posted on:
SPUR is a nonprofit public policy organization in the San Francisco Bay Area. Through research, education and advocacy, SPUR works to create an equitable, sustainable and prosperous region, where all people thrive. We bring people together from across the political spectrum to develop solutions to the big problems cities face. With offices in San Francisco, San José and Oakland, we are recognized and respected for our independent and holistic approach to urban issues.
About SPUR’s Transportation Program
SPUR Transportation Program works to make walking, biking, taking transit and carpooling the default options for getting around. We believe that how people move matters and that transportation is not an end in itself, but a means to achieve a better climate, better health, safer communities, and greater and more equitable opportunity. Our three key policy priorities are to: (1) improve the region’s transit network and the institutions that run in (2) make it faster, easier, more dignified and less expensive to get around without a car (3) leverage transportation investments to build great neighborhoods and connect people to opportunity. For more information, visit our transportation page.
SPUR seeks candidates for its Transportation Policy Manager. The Transportation Policy Manager will support the work of our Transportation program through research, education and advocacy. This position is an excellent opportunity for someone who likes to build coalitions, persuade policymakers, and engage the general public to improve the health and sustainability of the region and state’s transportation system.
The Policy Manager will report to the Transportation Policy Director, have significant support from the Chief Policy Officer, and work closely with SPUR staff, public agencies, other advocacy partners, funders, and SPUR board members to accomplish SPUR’s work.
This role includes significant research, writing, and analysis, as well as strategic thinking, effective advocacy, persuasive speaking, community engagement, and coalition-building. This role involves significant collaboration with internal and external stakeholders to develop policy ideas, and to influence decision-making in San Francisco. This role requires synthetic thinking, especially the ability to work across scales. This role requires excellent project management skills and experience with translating urban policy issues to the general public. This role also serves as an ambassador to local, regional and state government staff, elected officials, business and community leaders, and staff at other civic organizations.
The Transportation Policy Manager will help advance SPUR’s transportation agenda at the state level on projects such as: initiating and deepening advocacy campaigns at the state to align state transportation spending with the state’s climate and equity goals, rethinking alternatives to the gas tax system, and influencing state policies and rules that affect land use and transportation. This will include engaging agency staff, legislative staff, legislators as well as conducting and/or managing policy research and analysis, and collaborating with communications professionals to develop multimedia products.
This role will also generally support the Transportation Policy Director to enhance our local and regional work, such as re-envisioning our streets, researching and advocating for parking reforms, and supporting the implementation of a more seamless transit network.
- At least 3 years of experience engaging in policy advocacy, including working in coalition with multiple partners on a long-term campaign that involves advocacy, organizing, research, and/or working with elected or appointed officials and other policymakers
- Either a master’s degree in public policy, urban planning, or a related field, or a minimum of five years equivalent experience preferable.
- Familiarity with California’s transportation policy issues and opportunities and state transportation funding programs.
- Experience with one or more state agencies or policymaking entities involved in transportation policy and/or funding decisions, such as the California State Transportation Agency (CalSTA), Caltrans, the California Air Resources Board (CARB), the California Transportation Commission (CTC), or the Governor’s Office of Planning and Research (OPR) or the Strategic Growth Council (SGC).
- Proven ability to initiate a new project and teams and see it through to successful completion while handling other projects with multiple deadlines.
- Excellent communication and relationship management skills, both written and verbal. The candidate must be a strong writer and researcher, who can make complicated policy issues interesting and intelligible to both policymakers and a general audience. Strong meeting facilitation and group process skills are highly desirable, including the ability to work well with people from all different sectors of the community and build diverse coalitions and consensus to drive policy outcomes.
- Strong quantitative reasoning skills and an ability to interpret and explain data, quantitative methods, trends and summary figures.
- Prior experience and comfort with grant writing and sourcing funding for work.
- If located in the Bay Area, this job requires the ability to travel to Sacramento two days per week. If located in Sacramento, this job requires the ability to travel to the Bay Area one day per week.
The salary range for this position is $75,000-$100,000 and will be based on experience and commensurate with skills and qualifications. This is a full-time, exempt position. SPUR offers a generous and comprehensive benefits package including health insurance, dental insurance, vision care, basic life insurance, pre-tax commuter benefits, work from home stipend, employee assistance program (EAP) and retirement plan with twenty-five percent contribution matching.
Hybrid Work Environment
At SPUR the health of our employees and their families is our top priority. SPUR has a hybrid workplace model defined by a combination of remote and in-person work. We have mandatory all staff in-person days on Monday and staff may be required to attend other in-person meetings, events and programs as needed. All policies are subject to change as relevant health orders change.
COVID-19 Vaccine Requirement
SPUR employees are required to confidentially show proof of up to date COVID-19 vaccination to HR as a condition of employment. If the employee is entitled to a medical related reasonable accommodation or a sincerely held religious belief or practice, then the employee is exempt from the vaccine requirement and reasonable accommodations will be considered and made available if there is not an undue hardship incurred in order to provide it.
Equal Opportunity Employer
SPUR is an equal opportunity employer with a strong organizational commitment to respecting differences of all kinds. SPUR prohibits unlawful discrimination against any employee or applicant for employment based on race, color, religion, sex, gender identity, age, sexual orientation, political orientation or disability or any other basis prohibited by law. In that spirit, we strongly encourage applications from people of color, persons with disabilities, women, LGBTQ applicants and others that will contribute to the diversity of our staff.
Applicants With Disabilities
Reasonable accommodations will be made so that qualified disabled applicants may participate in the application process. Please advise in writing of special needs at the time of application.
The statements herein are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by employees assigned to this position. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel so assigned.
Please submit a cover letter, resume, and one writing sample for which you are the primary author. Applicants should apply by submitting their materials to this link.
First review of applications will begin on May 10. Job open until this posting is removed from SPUR’s website. Preferred start date for the position is in July 2022.